Monday 28 March 2011

Reasons to be provincial: Part one!

London scooterists will need to ride out to the action for once next month, where off Junction 11 on the M4, Liam Gallagher's fashion label "Pretty Green" is sponsoring "Reading Steady Go - Life through the Eyes of a 1960s Mod". This exhibition is set to be the first major focus on the scene outside of London.


One of the brain's behind the Berkshire coo, is a forty-something Mod, active on the Modculture forums as "Smiler". The exhibition is said to be a precursor to the book Smiler's writing on Reading's history as a major hub for the original and 80s Mods.

Suzy Kendall smoulders in
"Up the Junction"
After being fascinated by Mod fashion and music for the last couple of decades, but spending most of that time in cities like Liverpool and London, I'm looking forward to seeing the scene from a provincial perspective. Not since Suzy Kendall went "Up the Junction" to find Dennis Waterman in Battersea, has a destination this gritty, looked so dead-set on turning into a mecca of sixties pretty.

See "Reading Steady Go..." at John Madjeski Art Gallery, Reading Museum & Town Hall, Reading, RG1 1QH from 9th April - 9th October 2011.

2 comments:

  1. Hi I Love your Blog it's great, my favourite so far (this is my first comment too!) - Just wanted to explain why I'm following you twice, I don't know how I did it and I can't change it - I am also following myself. Hopefully my glass of red wine will tell me how to rectify this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the compliment and for following. Haha "I am also following myself", that's so painfully honest it's making me laugh! Easily done though, blogger formatting can be a bit on the barmy side - nowhere near to mastering it myself yet...

    ReplyDelete