Wednesday 23 March 2011

Single women and man-children

So I'm poking my nose out of my country parapet at last, sniffing around for all paid roads that lead to London. Of course, they are not paved with gold. Ever. If you're a journalist. I immediately find a 'job' market awash with opportunities to work. For free. Including one particular beauty, courtesy of journo jobs bible, Gorkana: "We need contributors... to capture the interest of our online audience, professional women from 28 to 45, who are single but are looking to settle down."

Perfect. Practically every girl I know is single, fabulous and looking for Mr Right when the streets are rammed full of Mr Wrong's (the man-child I am sharing my country pile with, for now, being a shining not so knightly example). All our own faults for being too damn good at fending for ourselves if author Kay Hymowitz' claptrap in new novel, 'Manning Up' is to be believed! Must get to the bottom of that book. It may be based on American men, but the principles are the same both sides of the Atlantic. Women of a certain age and status - the SATC generation, if you will - can't find decent men. A-N-Y-W-H-E-R-E!

Carrie and co. may have reproduced, married off, reached the top of their games and hung up prized Manolos to make way for a rumoured reinvention (cue Blake Lively??) but what happened to the real SATC women? Well, we're still here. Dating! So Gorkana's shiny, unpaid opportunity poses one question: why not launch my own 'inspired' magazine to cheerlead a rather too huge, target audience of single, fabulous, thirty-something women seeking their significant other? After all, my phonebook is full of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment